Friday, 4 July 2014

Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt 2014: the 'Are we nearly there yet?' edition


Hello hello.

Although I've only participated in the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt  - hosted by Rinda at Gallo Organico - twice ... it already feels like a longstanding part of documenting my summer. Thanks Rinda!

Everywhere I go throughout summer I carry with me a copy of the list featuring the 21 items I need to find and photograph [I've copied the list into my sidebar over there <<< for the duration.] Right now I'm one third of my way through so I thought it was about time I shared some. So here goes ...

I've called this selection the 'Are we nearly there yet?' edition as they were all taken while I was on days out with my parents [they're retired, I work for myself. It would be silly not to make the most of the sunny weather!].

But really, I've been behaving myself quite well in the back of their car these days. Mostly.

I rarely ever demand they stop because I need to have a wee/throw up by the side of the road any more. No, I've grown out of all that. However ... 

... I might just have asked Dad to stop the car so I could take a photo for the scavenger hunt!! This photo in fact:

No.7: A rural landscape
This is one of the beautiful views you'll find within the North Yorkshire Moors National Park which we're lucky enough to live not too far from. Once I knew we were heading out over there I knew 'A rural landscape' was going to be crossed off my list before the day was out.
 
To be honest ... if it's a rural landscape you need ... you're a bit spoiled for choice.

Next, once we dipped down from the dales and into Lealholm for a browse around the plant nursery plus tea and cake [obvs] in The Shepherd's Hall Tea Rooms , I also found ...

No.18: A waterfall
I  couldn't get a better view of it without climbing down through a cafĂ© and into the stream [and my days of running off from my parents and falling into water are behind me!] so this was just the view from a bridge.

On our way back to the car I spotted this life-affirming sign on the back of a camper van ...
... and I considered using it for: No.20: A bus (not a car, truck, lorry, camper or RV) with a picture painted on its sides.

But for several reasons it doesn't quite make the grade - because (a) it's not a bus (b) it's not a picture and (c) it's on the back of the van not the sides. But, y'know, apart from that ...

It was still worth stopping to grab a photo of it just the same!

My final photo was taken on a different day trip - to Helmsley this time - on the way home from which I was being silly in the back of the car [pretending I could fly if you must know ... ] and when my sister joined in, our parents who didn't know I'd started it, thought she'd gone a bit 'funny'. When she protested, pointing to me, saying 'She started it!' ... it was just like old times!

My Dad put it down to the fact that my sister had had a rum and raisin ice-cream! Which leads me to ...

No.21. A photograph of you with something representing the season
While I was eating my ginger and vanilla cone [I was a good girl. There was no alcohol in mine ... ;-)] I realised that what better item is there to represent the summer season than an ice-cream?

So I handed my camera to my sister to capture the moment - and she handed me her ice-cream. Which explains is why I'm holding two!

So ... are we nearly there yet? Well, not quite. I've taken 7 of the 21 photos needed ... and I've only shared 3 ... so I've photos left to share!

I'd better get back to collecting more summer memories to cross off the list!

--------------------------------------------------- 

For more information on the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt, don't forget to visit host Rinda.

And I'll see you here soon.

Julie :-)


[BTW: this is a scheduled post as I'm taking a little time offline right now. If you need me try Twitter @notesonpaper. If that doesn't work - and if you don't have a messenger pigeon or access to the Floo Network, you might have to wait a few days. I'll get back to you when I can!]

10 comments:

  1. Great post! Love the sign on the back of the van! Enjoy your break:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been around much recently and am catching up with everyone - I even hope to post on my own blog! It has been sadly negIected I know but I seem to have so much to contend with at the moment. I had forgotton about Rinda's Scavenger Hunt - must go look and will try to join in again. Enjoy your break Julie. Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant sign to capture - I feel a sense of urgency! Your ice-cream photo is a great one of you - not sure I believe the story of that second one being your sister's :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ofcourse we are in the middle of winter here, but I have copied off the list and give it a go when summer arrives here.....some things may be impossible where I live but I wull try to be inventive!
    Cheers
    De

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good start. I've got a few photos taken already as well. Enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! I love the rural landscape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to go past a rum n raisin one, though, you've got to admit..yum.

    Great start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some great finds. That is a gorgeous rural landscape x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos here Julie! I think I'll give this list a whirl too. Love the sign on the bus . . . true, true, true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the sign on the back of the camper even if it doesn't officially qualify! :P and i had the same idea for #21! Will share later when I have a few more photos on the list. Enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.